Inside Scoop: This Vegan Butternut Squash Gnocchi is made with 2 ingredients and pairs perfectly with our Cashew Pesto.
Everyone needs a simple gnocchi recipe that doesn’t involve potatoes and white flour, you know what we’re saying, right?
Let’s try something that’s healthier, you know, like with butternut squash, which contains plenty of Vitamin C, more potassium than a banana (1 cup serving), and has other bomb-ass nutrients like: calcium, magnesium and iron.
This 2 ingredient Vegan Butternut Squash Gnocchi recipe is so perfect because it’s incredibly healthy (utilizing the power of the squash and whole grain flour), you can make it gluten-free, it’s vegan, plant-based and… did we mention 2 ingredients?
1 SIMPLE NOTE TO REMEMBER WHEN CREATING THIS VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH GNOCCHI
The best way to keep this recipe easy is to create a 1:1 ratio of squash puree and flour of choice.
Make sure you create a donut like shape and fold the flour into the puree. The working surface should be well floured, and the dough should be easy to roll. Roll into a cigar like shape and cut into little gnocchi balls.
Press your fork to create the ‘classic’ gnocchi shape, or keep it rustic like us and just cut into rough shapes. It should look something like the photo below.
Flour + squash = easy peasy!
We’ve tossed this recipe in our Antioxidant Vegan Pesto and it’s a seriously addictive taste.
Check out this vegan butternut squash gnocchi recipe below, you’re going to love it because:
- 2 ingredients!!!
- Whole food based
- Can be made gluten-free
- High in antioxidants and Vitamin C
What do you think? Doesn’t sound too hard, does it? If you’re looking for more incredibly delicious squash recipes, make sure you check out this Winter Squash With Leek & Vegetable Soup recipe.
And if you’re looking for other simple recipes that are created with 5 ingredients or less (like this vegan butternut squash gnocchi), be sure to download our 5 Ingredient Healthy Cookbook, compiled with 25 healthy recipes and plenty of tips to keep your healthy cooking game simple and delicious.
Download your cookbook here:
You're all set! Check your email for the deets.
Butternut Squash Gnocchi With Antioxidant Vegan Pesto
This simple, 2 ingredient Butternut Squash Gnocchi is an incredibly healthy alternative to the starch heavy classic potato gnocchi. It’s vegan, can be made gluten-free and turns out delicious!
- 1 butternut squash *for simplicity this also works with 4 cups of frozen butternut squash, thawed
- Equal parts spelt or oat flour you will need a 1:1 ratio of squash puree to flour
- 1 Tbsp olive oil for those who want to roast squash first
- Antioxidant Basil Cashew Pesto Recipe*
For whole squash:
Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
Cut one medium sized butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop seeds out.
- Place both halves in a baking dish and fill the caverns with water and bake until fork tender.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Once you can handle the squash, scoop all the flesh out from the skin and mash or puree. The smoother the texture of your mash, the smoother your gnocchi will turn out.
For frozen squash:
- Thaw 4 cups of squash and towel dry to remove excess water.
- Blend with a hand blender or food processor until smooth consistency.
- You will use equal portion of flour to squash puree (1 cup squash = 1 cup flour).
- Place spelt on working surface and create a donut-like shape.
- Put the squash puree in the middle and start to work the flour in until you have a nice ball of dough. You may need to add flour as you go to get a nice smooth consistency, but be careful not to over flour or they will turn out hard.
- To make your gnocchi, cut a piece of dough and roll into a cigar like shape, then cut the strip into bite size pieces and repeat until you have finished. Be sure to spread the gnocchi out and flour generously to prevent them from sticking.
- Bring a large stock pot of salted water to a boil and add the gnocchi.
- The gnocchi will cook in 2-3 minutes, you will know when they are ready when they are floating. Remove from pot.
Toss your gnocchi in the sauce you have set aside with some ground chile, tear up some fresh basil, and top with some fresh grated parmegiano cheese. If you want a vegan meal, leave the parmegiano off or add some vegan cheese like Nuts for Cheese.
- Heat a skillet over medium and pan fry your gnocchi for about 3-5 minutes with 1 Tbsp of olive oil or grass-fed butter. Stir around until brown and crispy. Toss in 4 Tbsp of pesto, or sauce of choice.
*Find the Antioxidant Basil Cashew Pesto recipe here.
Lucia Di Cesare
Lucia is a graduate from the University of Western Ontario, Canada with a bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, BSc. After spending many years working in the corporate world, she began to notice how stress, lifestyle, and diet affected the wellbeing of herself and those around her. With her scientific background, she had a natural curiosity to learn how those factors affected our wellbeing and what we can do about it. This brought her to CSNN and her journey to Simply Healthy Living began. Check out her blog here and follow her on Facebook.