Inside Scoop: This is the best honey whole wheat bread recipe, and it’s so simple to make!
This recipe was submitted by Amy Meegan, marketer, nutritionist, blogger, baker and cook among other random titles.
The days are unmistakably getting a little chillier, a little shorter, a little bit more like October.
October is one of my favourite months of the year. It’s a time for beginnings, cosy jumpers and winter spice candles. For me, autumn brings a definite change in diet. I swap cool summer salads for hearty chunky soups and fresh fruit salads for warm comforting toast.
If you’ve never made your own toast before, then I have something that’s a total treat for you – the best honey whole wheat bread recipe ever!
THE BEST HONEY WHOLE WHEAT BREAD FOR WARMER WEATHER
When I was in school, one of my regular mid-morning snacks was a granola bar, specifically the oats and honey flavour. You know the ones?
With that flavour combination in mind, I gravitated to my usual Irish Soda Bread recipe, changed some things up, and created the Best Honey Whole Wheat Bread recipe.
Fresh from the oven, I love this honey whole wheat bread. And, if you’re going to enjoy this recipe as much as I do (meaning creating it over and over again) check out my favourite ways to use this delicious honey bread:
- With some nut butter and banana slices, and a drizzle of honey and hemp seeds.
- With some mashed avocado and a poached egg, topped with sprouts or sauerkraut.
- As a side roll to heartier soups, like this Winter Squash Leek & Vegetable Soup as a way to balance out the macros and provide a bit of sweetness to something so earthy.
- It’s even delicious as sandwich bread with some fresh goat cheese and roasted red peppers.
This is the best Honey Whole Wheat Bread Recipe because even after a few days, when the loaf starts to harden a bit, there’s nothing more I enjoy than a couple of slices toasted and topped with mashed banana and cinnamon, or cut up and tossed in oil and baked for 15 minutes to use as croutons!
As with all of my recipes, I suggest you use this one as a guide. Once you get comfortable with it, experiment with different ratios of flour to oats, add some nuts, seeds and spices.
This delicious Honey, Whole Wheat Bread recipe and article was created by the wonderful Amy Meegan, who you can learn more about below. And, if you try this delicious creation, please feel free to tag her on Instagram @thebakingnutritionist
If you’re loving the simplicity of this delicious bread recipe, be sure to download our 5 Ingredient Mini Cookbook today! 12 recipes all using 5 ingredients or less, a book that was designed to simplify your health.
You're all set! Check your email for the deets.
Tell us in the comments below how you would top this gorgeous honey whole wheat bread?
The Best Honey Whole Wheat Bread Recipe (7 Ingredients, One Bowl)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour sprouted
- 1 cup spelt flour sprouted
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or oil of choice
- 2 ¼ cups almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Mix the milk with lemon juice to sour, and set aside.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin. Preheat the oven to 360F.
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Gradually add in the wet ingredients and mix (reserving about 1 tbsp honey). Don't stress, this will be a wet mixture.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin and drizzle over the remaining honey and a sprinkling of oats.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes and allow to cool in the tin for a few mins before removing and wrapping in a clean tea-towel to cool completely.
Amy Meegan is a marketer, nutritionist, blogger, baker and cook among other random titles. Most often found drinking coffee, stalking dogs, practicing yoga or photographing food. Check out Amy's work on Instagram.