Inside Scoop: This Healthy AF Vegan Black Bean Dip is so simple to make, high in protein, fiber and the perfect dip/ spread for your tacos, chips, crackers, burritos, eggs…. you name it.
Are you into dips as much as we are?
We love them so much. They’re made for crunchy chips, they take bland veggies and make them totally enjoyable, and they’re usually flavour layered on top of flavour. They can be sweet and savoury and can be quite nutritious. Dips are the Sh!t!
It’s a good thing we have quite a few tasty dip recipes on hand when we’re in need, like this Purple Power Hummus, and this delicious Spinach and Artichoke Hummus, and it’s a really good thing that things like chickpeas, beans and lentil puree up real nicely, so that we can keep creating dips and spreads (like this vegan black bean dip) using these creamy and protein packed vegetarian based ingredients.
So, we were recently at a vegan Spanish style restaurant, totally enjoying black bean tacos, which were layered with a citrus and cilantro infused vegan black bean spread and it was so delicious we couldn’t get it out of our heads. We felt the immediate need to recreate, and luckily our friend Jarka Crawford at Clever Family Meals passed on a beautiful vegan black bean dip recipe, so with a couple of modifications, the delicious restaurant inspired black bean spread came to life.
We’re totally loving this up with some fresh corn tortillas that we placed under the broiler for about 2 minutes each side to crunch up, and some guacamole, lime and cilantro. It’s such a filling snack, you could roast up some sweet potatoes, get some fresh corn and cotija cheese, and make a meal out of tacos with it.
But just for dip purposes, this Healthy AF Vegan Black Bean Dip contains,
- Protein, 1 cup of black beans contain nearly 30% of your RDA of protein
- Antioxidants; phytonutrients and polyphenols from the cilantro
- Vitamin C from the limes
- Totally filling snack or addition to your meal
And it’s made with whole food, plant-based ingredients, so, total win.
What’s your favourite taco recipe? Do you keep it omnivore, or like to go veggie based. Drop a comment below.
This Vegan Black Bean Dip totally inspired us to create a Healthy Food Swap List for you so that you make healthy eating just as enjoyable and easy as you’d like. Download this fridge-friendly Healthy Food Swap List here:
DOWNLOAD YOUR HEALTHY SWAP FRIDGE LIST
You're all set! Check your email for the deets.
Healthy Black Bean Dip
This vegan black bean dip is the perfect all season dip. Great for veggies, nacho chips, in burritos and tacos. It’s high in protein and packed with flavour.
- 1 19oz can black beans rinsed; or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion coarsely chopped or caramelized; we prefer caramelized, but to save time raw onion is delicious as well
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- ground black pepper to taste
- Sautee the onion for about 15 minutes on low to medium heat, until onions are fully caramelized (the best way to caramelize onion is low and slow).
- Add everything to a food processor and mix until smooth (or desired consistency).
- The dip should retain some texture, and if you’re finding it’s not mixing all that well and you want it creamier, add 1 Tbsp of water at a time until desired texture.