Inside Scoop: This sweet heat kale salad with shrimp is healthy and full of flavor to make all your salad dreams come true.
Not too sure where the shrimp has been in our lives lately because shrimp is AWESOME!
Our lack of shrimp may be stemming from our fear of foods that come from the ocean (ocean’s a scary place these days if you haven’t noticed). But, we’ve decided we can’t let fear drag us down, because seafood can be a really great source of nutrients (just check out shrimp’s nutritional profile below), and reducing meat intake plus focusing on more of a Mediterranean style of eating has some serious health benefits.
So, we’ve decided to live by this rule:
1) Get sustainably caught fish.
2) Avoid large fatty fish, like tuna or swordfish (for the most part).
3) Avoid fish that live a long time, as they hold onto the most toxins.
4) Avoid the fish that are highest in mercury (shark, swordfish, king mackerel, or tilefish) and eat fish or seafood that contain lower levels of mercury (shrimp, salmon, pollock, and catfish).
5) Don’t eat fish daily.
6) Totally embrace shrimp again.
Shrimp Is Simple.
Having simple meals to go to that contain shrimp, are easy to cook and versatile has been awesome. Shrimp marinades beautifully, you only need a few pieces to really feel satisfied, and oh yeah, shrimp is also quite good for you.
Just 4 oz of jumbo shrimp contain:
- A unique source of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory carotenoid astaxanthin
- 107% daily selenium (which is an antioxidant) recommendation
- 78% daily vitamin B12 recommendation
- 52% daily protein recommendation
- And plenty of other nutrients such as choline, iodine, zinc and Omega 3
We’ve been frying up this Healthy Chili & Lemon Spicy Kale Salad With Shrimp lately, and it’s been addictive.
Mmmmmmm we could seriously eat this salad every single day! It has a kick, it’s a bit sweet, it’s LOADED with nutrition (healthy fats, complex carbs, veggies galore, protein, oh ma gawd!) and is so filling! The spicy shrimp is seasoned with tumeric, chili powder, and garlic and the dressing is perfectly sweetened with honey or maple syrup, making this sweet heat salad a flavor combination we’re obsessed with!
We also are obsessed with topping our salads with Manitoba Harvest Hemp Seeds lately, they really give them a nice buttery texture, while adding some pretty amazing nutrition benefits.
Massaging kale really helps to break down the bitterness and toughness of kale, and you can massage the kale and leave it in the fridge for a couple of days without it wilting. Therefore, we make a massive batch of this and have leftovers for the week! We love massaging our kale with extra virgin olive oil and salt.
It makes being healthy really easy. Get in on this salad and let us know what you think!
Also, if you’re looking for more ways to get your simple meal planning on, check out this ‘One Day Meal Plan For Healthy Eating.’
Incredibly Healthy Sweet Heat Kale Salad With Shrimp
- 20 shrimp large, cooked & peeled (can use uncooked as well) *thawed
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon juiced (apx 2 Tbsp)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 bunch Kale (8-10 cups chopped)
- 1 cup cabbage , shredded *we buy pre-shredded
- 1 cup edamame organic & cooked
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/4 cup goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
Sweet Chili Lemon Dijon Dressing (see below for recipe)
- Massage kale with 1 Tbsp olive oil, a dash of salt and pepper.
- Heat skillet over medium.
- While you’re waiting for pan to heat, marinade shrimp in ½ Tbsp oil, chili powder, turmeric powder, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Add ½ Tbsp oil to pan and heat for 20 seconds, add garlic for additional 30 seconds.
- Dump shrimp & seasonings into hot pan, cook 3-5 min each side until all of the juices are absorbed and nice browned flavour on the outside.
- While cooking, create your dressing by adding everything to a spill-proof container and shake until thoroughly combined.
- Assemble your salad by mixing all ingredients in a bowl. This salad makes a large salad, suitable for 2-4 people so if you want to add dressing, remove your portion before pouring dressing on. Reserve leftovers for another day, or serve as a dinner salad for the family.
This salad makes a large salad, suitable for 2-4 people so if you want to add dressing, remove your portion before pouring dressing on. Reserve leftovers for another day, or serve as a dinner salad for the family.
Sweet Chili Lemon Dijon Dressing
This sweet chili vinaigrette is the perfect dressing to add a healthy kick to your salads.
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar rice or apple cider work as well
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Add everything to a spill-proof container and shake until thoroughly combined.