They say ‘bone broth’, you say…..?
Yes, we’ll admit, sipping on a cozy cup of bone broth, wasn’t something that stood out in our minds, pre-nutritionist. It’s strange because it’s something our grans cooked on a regular, but at some point in our life, the whole idea of bone broth got completely disconnected from traditional cooking methods. But of course, like a lot of nutrition trends today, the traditional methods are popping up on everyone’s radar as the “thing” to have. The truth is, just like sauerkraut, yogurt, and kombucha, bone broth has been a staple of traditional diets across the world for hundreds of years for its many health benefits and it’s the way to make use of every part of the animal. So chances are, this one is 100% here to stay (and thank goodness because it’s amazing, read on 🙂 )
For our November Local Feature, we’re happy to be featuring Broya Living, organic chicken and antibiotic+hormone-free beef bone broth made with a whole lot of love! And, it’s just the perfect time to be incorporating it into your diet for the winter for its warming and immune boosting, gut healing benefits.
Today, we’re sitting down with the Founder and CEO, Tim Sotoadeh to tell us a little bit more about what inspired this quick, healthy & delicious idea.
“Crafted with love to make you feel your best”
1) We were pleasantly surprised to discover your product in a recent tradeshow. Could you tell us a little bit more about Broya and how you got started? What inspired you?
I started going to local farms about 6 years ago purchasing full animals including grass-fed beef, bison, elk, lamb, and organic chickens. I would buy every part of the animal including the bones, but I would never really use the bones. I made broth a couple times but just found it to be time consuming and didn’t really see the point in it. Then I started reading about all the health benefits of bone broth so I thought I should give it another try. I started consuming bone broth every day and I noticed an insane amount of health benefits right away; I was sleeping way better, I felt leaner, my joints were feeling like they were more oiled up and could take on more strain particularly right when I woke up. At that point, I thought it would be a great idea to create a product since there was no one selling good bone broth on the market. It was concerning to me that most of the meat being sold was coming from industrialized processing facilities where animals are treated terribly and everything was about the bottom line. Big companies were trying to feed their animals the cheapest food (GMO corn and soy) so that they can get as big as possible in as quick as possible so they’d treat them with added hormones and antibiotics to keep them healthy. It’s a sad reality and continues to be. That was a huge inspiration for me to start Broya and to give people good quality meat options.
Also, check out this video we just released that goes pretty deep into the story.
2) We’ll be completely honest, most bone broths sold on the market that we’ve tried to date have been quite bland. Your bone broth is very flavourful and even for someone that’s not a big meat fan, they taste surprisingly good! What are some of the ingredients that you use to add those unique flavours?
It took us several trials to get a bone broth that actually tasted really good right out of the bottle. As you mentioned, most broths are bland, that’s because bone broth is naturally a neutral flavour. We add a bunch of organic vegetables and spices to the mix to give it more of a kick. The added apple cider vinegar also really helps not only bring out the nutrients during the cooking process, but also adds to the flavour.
3) At The Naughty Nutritionists we follow the motto that healthy, sustainable living can be obtained if you live your life with balance. This means healthy most of the time, and naughty a little bit of the time. At Broya, what would you say your motto is?
Our motto at Broya is to create food products that are made with love, care, and intention – all the way from the farms that the ingredients are sourced from to the kitchen where the product is made – to help people feel their best.
4) We see that you source your ingredients consciously and sustainably with a focus on organic ingredients. Could you tell us a little bit more about the farms and companies you work with to purchase your ingredients?
Our bones come from a number of different local farms here in Ontario. We started out with a really small farm in Tillsonburg called YU Ranch. The farmer Bryan was giving us bones for at least a year and we created a really great relationship with him. I recommend anyone looking for a good source of grass-fed beef to contact Bryan. As we started to grow, we needed to source from some other farms so now we work with some other partners like Rowe Farms, Beretta Farms, Yorkshire Valley Farms, and DeBoers Organic Chicken.
5) The Naughty Nutritionists absolutely love chocolate. We get organic, fair trade and always 70%+ dark cacao. Is there one thing that Broya is obsessed with right now?
We’re actually getting ready to launch our line of Broya Bites in the next few months. They’ll be similar to a jerky just with very clean ingredients, more flavour, and softer texture to it. We’re planning to launch a beef, chicken, and turkey flavour and we’re just obsessed with the flavours we’ve been working on. Super excited to launch them!
6) Would you be willing to share a delicious bone broth recipe with us using one of your products?
Totally. Check out this Italian Wedding Soup that was posted on our blog a few months ago using the chicken broth: https://broyaliving.com/blogs/news/italian-wedding-soup.
7) Give us the scoop. What new products do you have in the pipeline?
Our Broya Bites! They’ll be a delicious on-the-go meat snack that we’re sure everyone is going to love.