Inside: Koukla Healthy Macaroons- a melt in your mouth low-sugar dessert to satisfy your sugar cravings.
We love our jobs! As nutritionists, we get to look and test and try some of the most delicious foods, and there’s nothing that makes us happier than finding local companies that share our mission. We stumbled upon Koukla Delights at a local health food show and let us tell you that with only 3 grams of sugar per serving and simple ingredients like organic coconut, organic maple syrup, organic cacao powder and Himalayan salt, they’re some of the healthiest packaged snacks you will find. They’re also all organic, gluten-free, vegan, use no refined sugars or soy and are even paleo friendly.
If you’re a macaroon lover, expect to be obsessed with these little bites, they have flavours that include vanilla, choco coco (one of our favs), matcha cacao nibs, matcha coco and cranberry maple granola cookies YUM! They make regular size packs as well as snack packs that are perfect for when you’re on-the-go.
So, with such an impressive profile, we had to reach out to Evelyn Jerassy, President of Koukla Delights to get the scoop on this delicious obsession.
“A perfect blend of taste & nutrition”
1) We love our sweet tooth and while we do make a lot of our own snacks, we also know that many times our clients don’t have the time, so we’re always on the lookout for healthy alternatives. That’s why we were so happy to find your incredibly delicious, melt in your mouth macaroons. Could you tell us a little bit about how you got started, and what inspired you?
I’ve always been an avid baker and have a serious sweet tooth. About four years ago, I started to read more and more about the benefits of eating organic, raw food that was free of dairy and gluten.
At the same time, I was having a harder and harder time digesting my food. Very slowly, I started to adjust the way I cooked and baked and the foods that I chose to eat. I noticed that my energy level started to soar as I moved towards a plant-based diet.
However, I still needed to satiate my sweet tooth! I slowly started to move away from baking with white flour, white sugar and dairy. I discovered that I could still satisfy my sweet tooth and nourish my body at the same time! Instead of having sugar lows after a piece of cake or a cookie, I started to feel energized and nourished by my desserts!
2) Our name says it all, at The Naughty Nutritionists we don’t like to place restrictions on eating, we rather focus on finding the healthiest version of the foods we love and creating balance in our lifestyles. And, that is why we enjoy desserts, chocolate and the occasional glass of wine without the guilt. At Koukla Delights, what would you say your motto is?
I completely agree with you! My father used to say, “Everything in moderation”. Balance and moderation is really important. I think that it’s not healthy to deny yourself of the things that you love. But as you start to connect the way you feel after certain foods, you inevitably start to shift towards finding the healthiest versions of the things you love. You start to crave the foods and drinks that energize you.
3) We know there is a background meaning to your company name? Can you tell us about it?
My father used to call me “Koukla”, which means beautiful doll or beautiful girl in Greek. My father was a wonderful cook – he used very simple and fresh ingredients. Whenever I would ask him how he made a dish, he would say, “I made it with love Koukla!”. I founded my company in his honour as he inspired me to keep it simple and use only the freshest ingredients.
4) The ingredients you use are so simple- no flavours, no additives, no preservatives- just plain, simple and delicious. How do you come up with the recipes? Is there any simple recipe that you can share with us?
I’ve always loved putting on music in the kitchen and making desserts. It’s my way of unwinding and relaxing! So, creating the recipes was a labour of love!
In terms of recipes, I always have nut milk in the fridge. It’s super easy to make!
Nut Milk Recipe
- Soak 1 cup of nuts overnight (almond, walnut, macadamia or hazelnut).
- Rinse and drain the nuts.
- Put the nuts in a blender with 4 cups of water.
- Strain the nut milk and then put it back in the blender with a pinch of Himalayan salt and 1 tablespoon of manuka honey. Keep refrigerated.
(You can also check out this easy recipe for a 3 Ingredient Naturally Sweetened Almond Milk on NN here)
You can then use this almond milk as a base for so many things like:
Shakes: my favourite shake is 1 cup of almond milk, 4 ice cubes, one banana, some goji berries, cacao nibs, hemp seeds and bee pollen but the variations are endless!);
Teas: add 1 teaspoon of matcha and 1 teaspoon of honey to some warmed nut milk for a matcha latte, or add a little nut milk to your favourite kind of tea like Earl Grey or Chai;
Chia pudding: stir 1 cup of nut milk, 1/4 cup chia seeds and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and refrigerate overnight. Top with your favourite fruits and superfoods.
I also tried making fermented coconut yogurt recently. It’s super easy.
Empty one can of full fat coconut milk into a glass container. Add the contents of 1-2 capsules of your favourite probiotic, stir into the coconut milk and cover it with cheesecloth. Leave at room temperature for 24-48 hours and then refrigerate for an additional 24 hours. It should taste like delicious thick Greek yogurt!
5) Where do you source all your ingredients and where are the delights made?
We manufacture Koukla Delights at our own facility in Montreal. We are constantly sourcing our ingredients to make sure we have the freshest organic ingredients. Whenever possible, we try to buy local. For example, all of our organic maple syrup comes from Quebec.
6) What is next for Koukla Delights? Are you planning to release additional flavours or products?
We are planning some new flavours. Stay tuned!
7) Where can our readers find and buy your macaroons?
Koukla Delights are available in grocery chains (Metro, IGA, Sobey’s, Whole Foods) as well as independent health food stores. You can also order Koukla Delights online and see a full list of retailers who carry Koukla at www.koukladelights.com.