This post was submitted by Kiki Athanas, a holistic lifestyle advocate, educator, retreat & workshop host, journalist, speaker and founder of ME by Kiki.
The traditional way of having a smoothie is great, but sometimes you need to switch it up and indulge in a bowl of smoothie instead. There’s something to be said about pouring your favourite blends into a bowl, topping it with crunchy texture and eating it like a frozen yogurt.
Dessert, breakfast, nutrient dense, delicious, not only do smoothie bowls check all these boxes but when you pour a smoothie into a glass you don’t really get the option of adding all the toppings. Adding extra toppings allow for you to get that much more of a variety of nutrients, textures and flavours in one sitting. Not only do you get more of a bang with your bowl, but you also get to slowly savour every bite rather then gulping it back in a few minutes.
Our top 5 reasons to fall in love with this smoothie bowl:
- Beet it! You might be thinking no thanks, I am not really into beets. Or you might be excited because beets are just your cup of tea. Well, good news for the beet lover and beet hater. While this smoothie may contain them, it’s blended in such harmony with the other ingredients that the beet flavor is subtle and even a naysayer would think it delicious. But, the best thing about this wonderful root vegetable is the nutritional properties that it contains. Not only are beets jam packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits, but they are a well-known liver-friendly food. They contain betalains, which help support the body’s detoxification process by aiding in the elimination of toxins, thus making this smoothie bowl a delicious liver happy meal.
- Cacao powder’s health benefits have been shown off a lot lately it surely does dress to impress. Not only does it contain an incredibly high amount of antioxidants, but it’s also a source of iron, magnesium and even contains more calcium per 100g then cows milk! Cacao’s nutritional profile is incredibly well rounded (so it has that going for it), but it also has the ability to boosts the body’s natural production of serotonin and dopamine, which allow for a moment of Zen. Just remember to make sure you are getting cacao powder rather then cocoa powder, as you will reap so much more of the rewards (aka-the nutrients).
- Maca, a wonderful little Peruvian cruciferous vegetable, is not entirely gossiped about but the health benefits that maca contain are pretty amazing. You generally don’t see the whole root in North America as it is usually harvested, ground down into a powder and sold in most health food stores. Maca is a well-known adapotgen, meaning that it works to balance out your adrenal glands and help reduce those uneasy feelings that stress brings. It also has a reputation for helping with fertility and balancing hormones, making this wonderful bowl a very pleasant start to your day.
- Antioxidant load. Beets contain a very unique group of antioxidants such as betalains (which give the beet its distinct red/ purple colour), manganese and Vitamin C, whereas cacao contains flavonoids, and maca powder helps boost glutathione (a powerful liver friendly antioxidant). The 3 foods and their antioxidant makeup pack a pretty powerful punch, which can never be a bad thing when you are getting antioxidants from food sources. Antioxidants play an important role in your health because they do their part in combatting free radical damage- damage that can ultimately lead to illness within the body. So throw out your antioxidant powder, you don’t need it when you are consuming this beet lovin’ smoothie bowl.
- Dessert replacement. The beets and banana provide sweetness, cacao powder provides chocolatey goodness and the almond milk provides a creamy consistency. There is no added sugar which makes this smoothie bowl a delicious sweet treat that could definitely replace your ice cream cravings. Load up on the toppings for a flavor boost and a little crunch.
Beet Lovin’ Smoothie Bowl
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 1 beet raw; chopped and frozen
- 1 banana frozen; chopped
- 1/2 tsp maca powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 scoop hemp protein powder orprotein powder of choice
- 1 tsp lucuma powder optional
- 1 tsp mesquite powder optional
- 1/2 tsp spirulina powder optional
- Toppings: 1 tbsp granola, 1 tsp cacao nibs, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/4 fruit dragon fruit/pitaya
- Mix all ingredients in a high powered blender
- Top with granola, cacao nibs, blueberries and dragon fruit.
For wellness lifestyle - that actually fits your lifestyle, meet Kiki Athanas - Founder of ME by Kiki. A holistic lifestyle advocate, educator, retreat & workshop host, journalist, and speaker. Say goodbye to overwhelm and let Kiki save your time (and adrenals!) as your guide to curated wellness that works.