Inside Scoop: These delicious 1 bowl zucchini breakfast cookies are the perfect treat for when you want breakfast, veggies and something quick and on-the-go all at once.
Vegetables for breakfast? Hmmm….. No thanks!
But… maybe, just maybe if they’re hidden in a cookie?
Okay, we’re really just kidding, we do love veggies for breakfast, especially with eggs. But, usually when you think, on-the-go, grab-and-go, out-the-door, you think is heavy and grains, and sometimes fruit, but vegetables don’t really stand out in the mind.
When you can whip up a breakfast cookie that requires 1 bowl, a couple of ingredients, and contain fruit AND vegetables… well yeah, we’re on board.
BENEFITS OF THESE ZUCCHINI BREAKFAST COOKIES
Zucchini is an incredibly versatile vegetable. It has such a mild taste, can be added to basically everything, and bakes quite nicely. These wonderful zucchini breakfast cookies pack a full serving of fruit and veggies, are incredibly high in fiber, and combined with the banana, it’s a potassium dream (making them a great post-workout treat, may we add?)
Zucchini is also high in antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin, which are vital nutrients for eye health and the protection of eye related macular degeneration and cataracts.
So basically eating cookies to keep your peepers sharp? What a good idea!
We love whipping up a batch of these zucchini breakfast cookies when we know we have a couple of busy days ahead of us. They are the perfect treat, breakfast option, and we are totally getting our veggies in at the same time. Which means, great for kiddos!
They’re also made with some healthy swaps as well. You know, we’re all about a good healthy swap! Since we make these swaps habitually and never feel like taste is compromised, we thought that we would compile a list of our Favourite Healthy Swaps for you to download here:
Check out another one of our favourite zucchini recipes by diving into this Best Quinoa Banana Bread Recipe!
What’s your favourite way to sneak in veggies? Let us know in the comments below!
Zucchini Bread Breakfast Cookies
- 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 banana medium
- 1 free range egg or flax egg*
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.25 cups rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup zucchini shredded; dried in a towel to remove excess water
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds or chia seeds
- 1/4 cup add ins: dark choc chips or chunks; coconut, goji berries
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients (nut butter, sweetener, banana, egg, vanilla extract) in a bowl vigorously so it makes a creamy buttery texture.
- Add in the next 5 ingredients (oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt) and mix.
- Fold in zucchini and chia or flax seeds, mix.
- Then fold in add ins.
- Form into balls and then press them down, so they are flat like the picture. You can make small or large sized cookies depending on your preference.
- Spread the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 15-18 minutes.
*To make a flax egg mix 1 Tbsp milled flaxseeds with 3 Tbsp water, whisk and let it sit for 15 minutes in the fridge to thicken.