Inside Scoop: Have you ever had cauliflower egg fried rice before? If you are looking for a grain-free alternative to fried rice, this is for you!
If you are in the market for a healthy dinner, loaded with veggies, that tastes amazing and is REALLLY simple to put together, and you HAVEN’T tried making cauliflower fried rice before…
I’m just going to say that today is your lucky day because I am about to save you a huge hassle of finding a dinner that suits all of those needs.
I’ve been cooking this 15 Minute Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice for months now. Since being mostly grain-free I don’t really get the luxury of eating ‘real’ fried rice, but I really really like it.
I also have to let you know that I was never a fan of the whole ‘cauliflower rice’ thing. I remember the first time I tried to make it for a pizza crust and it turned out to be such a chore. You have to steam, then food process, then ring the water out…. Let’s just say cauliflower rice is not an easy task.
And, to be honest I don’t really like cauliflower all that much, so I kind of gave up on the whole using cauliflower as rice thing before it could even make an impact.
Plus, the MESS it creates, I don’t even want to go there.
So, when I found these packs of pre-riced cauliflower that already had peas and carrots in them, I thought, you know what let’s try to do an Asian inspired Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice dish and see how it goes.
Now this 15 minute meal is a lifesaver in my household.
MAKE CAULIFLOWER EGG FRIED RICE IN 15 MINUTES
In this Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice recipe I used organic ground beef to create a little bit more sustenance, which adds on another 5-10 minutes to the dish, but you can choose to go completely vegetarian if you like, or add some tofu, pre-cooked chicken, or keep it completely vegan as well!
Another cool thing that you can do to make this recipe a little bit more filling is to add some actual rice to the dish. As long as you are not living a paleo lifestyle, or have reduced grains to heal your gut, I would suggest removing 2 cups of the cauliflower rice and adding 3/4 cup pre-cooked basmati or brown rice to the dish.
But all in all, you can easily cook the base of this cauli-fried rice dish in 15 minutes. Basically, dump the bags of cauli-rice with the sauce into the pan and cook it until all the water is absorbed and it’s on the crispier side.
Some Other Fun Ways To Spruce This Dish Up
I love using cauliflower to make this egg fried rice because it’s a unique way to get more cruciferous veggies into your diet. This dish can also act as a vessel for other nutritious ingredients, such as:
- Chopped peppers or carrots
- Miso paste
- Shiitake mushrooms or oyster mushrooms
- Tempeh, tofu or shrimp
- Chili paste
This dish has so many variables and opportunities for flavour layers, I actually think next time I will turn it into a Bibimbap and see where that takes me. What do you think?
And, if you’re looking for more fun Asian inspired healthy dishes that utilizes veggies in a creative way, check out these Vegetarian Moo Shu Wraps With Hoisin Sauce & this Sesame & Carrot Chilled Soba Noodle Bowl With Tempeh.
Because we know that eating 100% whole foods isn’t the easiest thing to do, and because having healthy packaged foods like this minced cauliflower stocked makes life so much easier, we have put together a list of some of our top favourite healthy packaged foods.
Download these Nutritionist Approved healthy food brands here:
If you get to cooking this 15 Minute Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice please comment below and let me know what you think about this dish.
15 Minute Paleo Cauliflower Egg Fried Rice
- 500 g ground beef about 1 pack * optional remove for vegetarian version or replace with ground turkey, chicken or tempeh
- 6 cups cauliflower minced *I use Green Giant Riced Veggie Cauliflower Medley pack, see notes
- 1 Tbsp ginger ground
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 peppers large, diced
- 3/4 cup tamari low sodium, gluten-free *use coconut aminos for Paleo option
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar *use apple cider vinegar for paleo or omit
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- Heat a large wok over medium and add your beef/ chicken or turkey. Cook thoroughly until pink is gone.
- Add in your veggies (roasted red pepper, peas, mushrooms whatever you’d like to add to the dish).
- While these are cooking whisk the sauce ingredients together (tamari, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and coconut sugar).
- Add the frozen/ steamed cauliflower *see notes and the sauce.
- Cook this down for about 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the cauliflower is getting crispy. You may need to cook this on a medium-high heat to cook it faster, because the cauliflower has a lot of moisture sometimes it takes a while to cook. Stir frequently.
- For the eggs you can choose to crack into the fried cauliflower and stir to cook (do this near the end of it cooking) or you can fry them separately and let the yolk run into your dish (tastes creamy and amazing this way).
- Serve with green onion, sesame seeds, kimchi or sriracha.
Optional: Kimchi, 1 cup peas, 1 cup diced carrots, cooked rice, cooked quinoa, shitake mushrooms, tempeh or tofu, chili pasta, green onion Play with flavours and add ins I use pre-riced cauliflower for this dish I find it much easier to cook this way. If you are using raw cauliflower I would recommend steaming it before you rice it. Or you can get frozen cauliflower florets and rice it that way as well.