Inside Scoop: Your chocolate dreams will come true with these vegan chocolate cups stuffed with chia berry jam.
We have some serious chocolate cravings kicking in ATM. We don’t know if it’s the change in season, and the requirement for warming, filling and comforting foods, or if it’s just the moment, but whatever the reason, we are trying our darndest to have our chocolate in the healthiest way possible.
We usually have a dark chocolate (70%+ organic, fair trade always) kicking around, Zazubean Pomegranate & Hazelnut being our current hands down favourite chocolate bar. But ,sometimes we have these wonderful ideas to whip up our own, high healthy fat, low refined sugar, and incredibly high in fiber chocolate. We love you Zazubean, but sometimes we just need to do this on our own, you know?
That’s why we’ve created these amazing Chia Berry Jam Stuffed Vegan Chocolate Cups! We really try to incorporate nutrient dense seeds, especially chia, into as many recipes as we possibly can. Why?
Well, the thing about chia seeds……They’re AMAZING for you!
Native to South America, ancient cultures used the word ‘chia’ which means strength for a reason. They are incredibly high in fiber, protein, omega 3 fats, calcium, magnesium, and they also contain some b vitamins, zinc and potassium. Chia seeds form a gelatinous texture when they are submerged in liquid, which give an incredible consistency and make it wonderful for naturally thickening treats such as jams, or puddings.
We are actually obsessed with chia jam! We spread that sh!t on everything, from pancakes to pb & j toast, to muffins, to nice cream. Chia jam is the most simple way to recreate your favourite jam recipe, and all you need is 3 readily available ingredients. We thought, what better place for it then stuffed in these vegan chocolate cups?
Trust us. There is no better place for it.
You guys are going to want to check out this recipe, your chocolate dreams will come true with these Chia Jam Stuffed Vegan Chocolate Cups. And, if you’re looking for more delicious and nutritious chocolate recipes, be sure to check out the most popular recipe on our blog, these Peanut Butter No Bake Chocolate Coconut Cookies.
Getting some home made dark chocolate into your life is one great healthy swap, and we’re all for it. We try to keep a healthy swap check list handy when developing recipes, and it’s always been a useful tool. That’s why we decided to package it up and offer it as a free downloadable (and printable/ totally fridge-able) Healthy Swap Guide. Snag your copy of our Healthy Swap Guide here:
Chocolate Cups Filled With Chia Jam
- Heat a saucepan on medium and add the berries, water and lemon juice.
- Simmer for approximately 15 minutes, until reduced to a sauce-like consistency.
- Once reduced, add 2 Tbsp maple syrup and the chia seeds.
- Set aside for about 15-20 minutes, until thick.
- While the jam is cooking, add the cacao powder, coconut oil, 1/3 cup maple syrup and vanilla extract to a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Be sure to get out all the clumps of cacao.
- Take mini muffin liners and fill 1/4 of them with the chocolate sauce, layering the chia jam, and then another layer of chocolate sauce.
- Make sure the chia jam is fully covered.
- Do this to apx. 11 more cups.
- Place in freezer overnight to harden.
- Store in freezer or fridge.