Inside Scoop: This is hands down the best dairy-free creamy chicken and corn soup you’ll ever have!
We don’t really think that soups should be reserved primarily for winter or colder months.
Especially when it comes to corn. Corn is really a seasonal food, with the end of the summer being its most flavourful time of the year. But that’s just it, corn is really a summer food, isn’t it?
Grilled corn on the BBQ, corn salads and salsas, and then you have this easy and light Creamy Chicken And Corn Soup – it’s a chowder, a soup, made with healthy ingredients, whole foods, is incredibly simple to put together and is oh so unbelievably delicious.
You really don’t need heavy creams to win with chowders. You can easily substitute coconut cream or full fat coconut milk to get that creamy effect, and paired with the right ingredients, you wouldn’t even notice the coconut taste. As a matter of fact, most recipes we create use a simple ‘healthy swap’ checklist, and coconut cream is one of our favourite replacements for heavy cream. You can check out some more of our favourite healthy swaps by downloading this printable version of our ‘Healthy Swap Fridge List’, download here:
This Creamy Chicken And Corn Soup is the perfect all-season food! You don’t need to eat it piping hot, it’s still light, refreshing, and yet filling and heavy enough that you don’t need too much to feel satisfied.
This soup is amazing, because:
- It contains plenty of vegetables
- It’s the perfect alternative to cream based soups
- It’s packed with healthy fats, protein and carbs
- It’s a filling, yet light meal for all seasons
Check out our Smoky & Sweet Zucchini & Corn Fritters, another summer corn favourite!
Have you tried dairy free chowders yet? Let us know in the comments below what your thoughts are.
Light And Creamy Chicken And Corn Soup (Chowder, Dairy-Free)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil avocado oil will do as well
- 2 chicken breasts (or 4 thighs)
- 1 onion medium chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 3 yellow potatoes small chopped
- 2 cups corn fresh or frozen
- 4 carrots small peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika *
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (10-14oz.)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- parsley or chives for garnish
- *If you don't have smoked paprika use regular & a drop of smoke flavour.
- Heat coconut oil in large pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken, cook to brown, remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion, cook until soft, then add garlic, celery, potatoes and carrots.
- Add corn kernels, paprika, a pinch of salt, black pepper.
- Cook until potatoes are slightly soft, then add apple cider vinegar, vegetable broth and coconut milk.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes & carrots are tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- For thicker soup only: Take a quarter to half of the soup and blend it, or hand blend for a couple minutes. You don't have to do this, but we find it creates a creamier taste.
- Cut or shred the chicken up and add back into the soup last, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with chopped parsley or chives.
*If you don't have smoked paprika use regular & a drop of smoke flavour. Instructions
Pam grew up on a hobby farm just outside of Victoria, BC, and moved to Calgary in 2004, her appreciation for food and health grew from there.
"A wife and mom of two kids, my key focus is creating a healthy life for my family and to help others do the same starting in the kitchen.I love the outdoors, in fact it's essential to my mental health, traveling is another passion of mine and well as developing gardening skills at home.For me it's not about trying to balance everything equally but making the best choices for you to find a balance of the things most important." Visit https://www.naranutrition.com/