Inside Scoop: This protein-packed healthy chocolate oatmeal is your ideal pre and post workout meal.
This recipe was submitted by Kudzi Manase, International Relations and English Literature graduate with a passion for all things health and fitness.
Oats have become a constant feature on health food lists and for good reason. They’re satisfyingly filling and just so easy to make (the simplest of recipes can be completed in less than five minutes). Oats are extremely diverse, featuring in healthier versions of recipes for cookies, bread and pancakes, and of course as a favourite breakfast choice like these 2-Minute Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats or these Chai Overnight Oats.
Oats have innumerable health benefits, often being cited as helpful in lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels. While most people turn to oats when they’re trying to lose a few pounds, they can be just as important for those trying to gain muscle.
Oats are high in slow digesting carbohydrates, which provide the energy needed to enable bigger and better lifts. Without sufficient carbohydrates in our diet, our bodies begin to break down their own proteins in an attempt to meet these energy requirements. As I’m sure you can see, this is highly counter-productive. To prevent this from happening, it’s often recommended that a good portion of your daily carbohydrates are consumed in and around your workouts and for those who prefer to hit the gym in the morning, this healthy chocolate oatmeal recipe is perfect! It’s high in carbohydrates and protein, tastes impossibly indulgent and takes less than 5 minutes to prep.
Naughty Nutrition is all about dishing out simple and delicious recipes… You’ll be seeing more 5-minutes, 5-ingredients and 5 week delicious meals so make sure you but get on the N5Diet list below because we’ve got a sizzling deal coming your way soon!
THIS HEALTHY CHOCOLATE OATMEAL BOWL IS:
- Filled with protein
- High in complex carbohydrates
- Great for bodybuilders and weight watchers alike
- Full of healthy, unsaturated fats
- Free from added sugar
For more quick and easy oat recipe inspiration, also check out our 2 minute peanut butter oat video below (just of the 125+ recipes that are part of the N5Diet Program).
* Header photo credit to Ella Olsson.
Healthy Chocolate Oatmeal Bowl
- Combine your oats, protein powder and cacao/hot chocolate powder in a small food processor and blend.
- Add the non-dairy milk and one cup of warm water before giving another quick blitz. The consistency will appear a little runny, but it’s nothing to worry about; it will thicken once it’s been placed in the microwave.
- Place your mixture in a bowl and pop it in the microwave for about a minute.
- To ensure that your oats don’t get lumpy, you will need to stir every 20 seconds. The mixture will thicken over time.
- Once the minute is up, remove the bowl from the microwave and top with toasted pecans and sliced strawberries.
I'm a recent International Relations and English Literature graduate with a passion for all things health and fitness! I spend my days planning my gym sessions, researching ways to get stronger and making healthy and delicious recipes. When I'm not busy with all of that, I'm either interning, creating content for my blog nnyasha.com which is aimed at the healthy, balanced young professional or trying to reach my reading goal of 100 books in 2018!