This recipe was submitted by Andrea Cole, founder of WholeFull Life with primary focus on detox, disease prevention, gut health and immunity.
Are you looking for one of those super easy one pot meals where you hardly have to prep, you just toss things into a pot and heat and serve? Well, the title of this dinner does not lie when it says ‘super easy’ because that is exactly what it is…. super… freakin…. easy.
Not only is this dinner easy to prep, simple and delicious but it also incorporates sweet and savory and can be changed according to season. Peaches in the summer, tomatoes in the winter, add a couple potatoes to the pot and you have dinner for the whole family in a couple easy steps.
Here are our top reasons to roast some chicken tonight:
1. The better meat. If you are choosing meat for dinner tonight, chicken is definitely a healthier option. Whether it’s bone in breasts, thighs or drumsticks, roasted chicken can be a delicious and nutritious meal for the entire family. Try to aim for organic or pasture raised chicken, see if there are any local farms selling chicken, and try to avoid caged, mass produced chicken companies for the healthiest version of this meat.
2. Peaches host a great deal of nutrients especially minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron, zinc and copper. Peaches also are high in Vitamin C and A, making them an amazing food for the skin.
3. The ease of this dish is pretty amazing, using whole food ingredients that are simple and very easy to find. If you cook enough chicken you can have leftovers for the next day: chicken salad, chicken sandwich, chicken tacos etc. It’s a versatile food, and cooked so effortlessly that it can be used as leftovers in a different dish.
Roast Chicken & Peaches
- 4 chicken breasts large organic bone in or legs or both
- 4 peaches or a pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 head garlic separated into whole cloves
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil / grassfed butter/ avocado oil or oil of choice
- extra oil for browning while cooking
- fresh thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
*This dish is equally as delicious with peaches or tomatoes, when in season, the better it tastes.
- Preheat your oven toor 375F.
- In a large roasting dish or dutch oven place your chicken pieces skin side up and season well with the salt and pepper.
- Slice the peaches or tomatoes (if using large ones) and scatter into the dish making sure to place a few underneath the chicken pieces.
- Break up the garlic bulb leaving each clove in its skin, scatter all around the chicken and peaches/tomatoes.
- Break the butter into pieces and place it all over the chicken, or cover with oil (if using oil as opposed to butter).
- Salt and pepper to taste and toss in few sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Add enough water to the bottom of your dish to cover 1cm of the bottom.
- Cover the dish in tin foil and place in the oven for between 45 and 50 minutes.
- Remove and uncover and place in the oven for another 20 minutes until nice a golden brown.
After many years in the restaurant industry a growing disconnect from the commercial food industry and a passion for the connection between food and health led to a dedication to local, sustainable, home-grown and organic whole foods. Since pursuing an education in Holistic Nutrition Andrea knows the world of food, nutrition and healthy living can be confusing and overwhelming. She enjoys helping others navigate the path to disease prevention, healthy living and being the best we can be. She believes food is medicine and can be the slowest path to deterioration or the quickest route to health and happiness!
Andrea doesn’t believe in diets, or labels of Gluten-Free or Paleo, just real, whole foods. Her primary focus is detox, healthy weight without dieting, disease prevention, gut health and immunity.
Check out what Andrea is up to at Wholefull Life.