Have you roasted chickpeas yet?
Oh good God, if you haven’t, then you are truly missing out. If savory foods such as chips are your thing, but you’d rather snack on something with more nutritional value, then roasted chickpeas are the bee’s knees.
We’re clearly obsessed with chickpeas.
Interestingly enough, they are legumes and can be traced back nearly 7000 years! What?!? Move over grains, chickpeas are one of the best, trendiest, and nutrient rich foods out there. One of the cool things about this hip little legume, is that they’re an incredible source of protein, but combined with rice, they become a complete protein (containing all 9 of the essential amino acids).
Chickpeas are amazing! You can roast them, fry them, cook them in stews, blend them in hummus, mash them (check out our Vegan Mashed Chickpea Sandwich) and you can even add them to desserts. Versatility leaves no chickpea behind.
And, better yet, adding chickpeas to your diet adding some pretty awesome health benefits, such as:
- Fiber, which helps with elimination and supports your digestive system
- Antioxidants, which are vital for cardiovascular support
- Protein + fiber combo, which works wonders on balancing blood sugars
Our favourite part is that chickpeas have been shown to help with satiety, and portion control, and managing hunger cues, making them an essential health tool for weight management.
So, if you want to get in on the chickpea action, these spicy, nutty, cheesy, garlicky little gems are the perfect snack, salad topper or soup crouton.
Chili Garlic Roasted Chickpeas
- Preheat oven 375F.
- Place chickpeas in large bowl.
- Toss all ingredients together.
- Place on baking sheet, and cook for about 45-60 minutes until desired texture (cooked long enough will be crunchy).
- Toss them around half-way so all sides are cooked.