WHAT MAKES A STORE-BOUGHT ENERGY BAR TOP OF THE CHARTS ACCORDING TO NUTRITIONISTS?
It’s really simple, (that’s even Larabar’s motto- We Believe in Simplicity) it’s all about the ingredients, really. Simple, whole and minimal ingredients that you can make them come together in a delicious way.
We also believe that a healthy snack bar should be sweetened the most natural way possible, if adding sweetener; honey, maple syrup or cane sugar is the best option. But, if we can avoid adding sugar, let’s do it! Why not? Dates actually have an incredible sweetness, and when you process them you would never believe you’re adding a whole fruit to create sweetness, rather than an extracted sugar.
Check out this Chocolate Chip & Peanut Butter Larabar recipe, it’s totally:
- Raw/ Vegan
- Simple (minimal ingredients)
- Added sugar-free
- Versatile (try adding other elements: cacao, orange juice, cacao nibs, almond butter, chai spice mix…)
Do you think this peanut butter larabar recipe is for you? If you’re digging the whole healthy versions of recipes we’re putting out there you’ve gotta try these Salted Chocolate Nut Butter Cups, tastes just like Reese’s.
Healthy Home Made Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabars
- Place everything (except chocolate chips and water) in a high-powered food processor or a blender that’s okay with processing nut butters.
- You will need to process this for a minute or so, until everything has been broken up.
- If the dough looks a bit crumbly and dry add 2 Tbsp of water at a time and process for another 30 seconds – 1 minute until a thick dough ball has formed.
- You should be able to easily shape and manipulate this. You don’t want it too wet or too dry.
- Get an 8x8 dish and line with parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Press your dough down very firm.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours, remove from freezer and cut into desired bar size.
- Alternatively, you can make these into energy balls.
Alternatively, you can make these into energy balls.