Inside Scoop: This Healthy Chocolate Chip & Peanut Butter Larabar recipe will change the way you snack bar.
WHAT MAKES A STORE-BOUGHT ENERGY BAR TOP OF THE CHARTS ACCORDING TO NUTRITIONISTS?
It’s really simple, (that’s even Larabar’s motto- We Believe in Simplicity) it’s all about the ingredients, really. Simple, whole and minimal ingredients that you can make them come together in a delicious way.
We also believe that a healthy snack bar should be sweetened the most natural way possible, if adding sweetener; honey, maple syrup or cane sugar is the best option. But, if we can avoid adding sugar, let’s do it! Why not? Medjool dates actually have an incredible sweetness, and when you process them you would never believe you’re adding a whole fruit to create sweetness, rather than an extracted sugar. That’s part of the reason these homemade peanut butter larabars are even better than the real thing. If you don’t have Medjool dates handy, you can add any dried fruit, like raisins, dried cranberries, or even dried apricots. Dark chocolate chips or cocoa nibs also give the bars added sweetness naturally.
Another great thing about healthy snack bars (aside from re-creating them using simple ingredients) is that the best components that make a healthy snack bar are usually ones that balance your blood sugars, kick your cravings, and keep you feeling full until your next meal. Nut butters, and peanuts along with the fiber of dates create a perfect balance between those feelings of fullness and satiety. At the same time, they increase your consumption of plant-based protein, healthy fats, and antioxidants, which keep your nutrients up, and you feeling level all day. The protein from the peanut butter (or other nut butter) also helps build muscle if you’ve just finished a long workout.
Check out this Chocolate Chip & Peanut Butter Larabar recipe, it’s totally:
- Raw/ Vegan
- Simple (minimal ingredients)
- Added sugar-free
- Versatile (try adding other elements: cacao, orange juice, cacao nibs, almond butter, chai spice mix…)
Do you think this peanut butter larabar recipe is for you? If you’re digging the whole healthy versions of recipes we’re putting out there you’ve gotta try these Salted Chocolate Nut Butter Cups, which taste just like Reese’s peanut buttercups.
Healthy Home Made Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Larabars
- Place everything (except chocolate chips and water) in a high-powered food processor or a blender that’s okay with processing nut butters.
- You will need to process this for a minute or so, until everything has been broken up.
- If the dough looks a bit crumbly and dry add 2 Tbsp of water at a time and process for another 30 seconds – 1 minute until a thick dough ball has formed.
- You should be able to easily shape and manipulate this. You don’t want it too wet or too dry.
- Get an 8x8 dish and line with parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Press your dough down very firm.
- Freeze for 1-2 hours, remove from freezer and cut into desired bar size.
- Alternatively, you can make these into energy balls.
Alternatively, you can make these into energy balls.
If you’re a chocolate lover like we are, add more dark chocolate chips. You can also add cocoa powder to the bars for added chocolate flavor.
If you aren’t a fan of peanut butter, try using almond butter, or even your favorite chocolate spread. If you are using peanut butter, be sure to buy natural peanut butter for the healthiest option. The ingredients should just be peanuts, water, and salt.
Let us know if you want us to post different healthy Larabar recipes (We’ve been eyeing the chocolate chip cookie dough one)!