Oh coconut, you beautiful and versatile treat. Not only do you provide us so much nutrition, you are flavorful, creamy, rich and can be used not only in the kitchen but as a personal care product as well. You make our hair shiny, our skin soft and our food way more fun!
We can’t even begin to explain where and how to use coconut because we could be here all day, but us Naughty Nutritionists will tell all you beautiful people out there that if you are a coconut lover you need to try these Coconut Chips (two ways). Chocolate or maple cinnamon this beautiful little snack is a great afternoon sweet treat. Use on its own or add to a bag of mixed raw nuts, either way adding a little bit of sweetness to your coconut chips will make you thank us.
5 Reasons to Snack on these Sweetened Coconut Chips:
- Although coconut meat has had a bad rep over the years for its high saturated fat content, numerous studies are starting to suggest that a type of fat in coconuts called medium chain triglycerides (MTC’s) is actually beneficial. This type of fat is transported immediately from the gut to the liver and turned into fuel for the body to burn = the MTC’s aren’t likely to circulate the body and be stored as fat, instead it provides you with sustainable energy.
- Coconut meat contains high levels of fat soluble vitamins A and Vitamin E, which are also antioxidants, making it a great food to eat to help prevent heart disease and stroke.
- High in fiber. You’ll notice us girls over here talk quite a bit about the benefits of a high fiber diet, and coconut meat definitely makes the cut. Fiber helps regulate your digestive system and assists in detoxification.
- Low and unrefined sugar make this snack a much better choice then reaching for a muffin or commercial chocolate bar. Plus, by snacking on this instead of that you’ll be able to avoid the blood sugar crash that happens when you reach for a sugar-laced treat.
- Cinnamon is one of the most underrated spices, it helps balance blood sugars, loaded with antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties and helps prevent heart disease. Not to mention the amazing flavor it provides.
Naturally Sweetened Coconut Chips
Choco Kissed Coconut Chips
- Mix the coconut oil, maple syrup, cacao & vanilla extract in a bowl. Pour over the coconut strips and mix gently with your hands, being careful not to break the strips. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, sprinkle with salt and bake at 300F for about 15-20 minutes, flipping them around every 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Pour the maple syrup and add cinnamon, salt and sprinkle of nutmeg over the coconut strips then mix gently with your hands, being careful not to break them. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 300F for about 15-20 minutes, flipping them around every 5 minutes until golden brown.