This recipe was submitted by Jarka Crawford, holistic nutritionist and founder of CleverFamilyMeals.ca.
Just because the weather’s warming up doesn’t mean that you can’t enjoy a nourishing bowl of soup. This sweet potato, carrot and red lentil soup is light yet filling and is perfect for the weather transition and keeping your immune system and digestion healthy and strong.
Our top 3 reasons to make this soup:
1. Onions. Commonly used in a wide variety of cultural dishes, onions are a staple for the kitchen. They have been used for centuries for their anti-inflammatory, anti-septic, and antifungal properties. Similar to garlic, onion has a distinct odor due to the active sulphur bonds that contribute to its beneficial properties. The natural oils found in onions also contribute to its anti-septic effects. Further, the phytonutrient quercetin – naturally found in onions – inhibits uric acid production, and inhibits the manufacture and release of inflammatory compounds.
FUN FACT: to reduce the likelihood of tearing up when cutting into an onion, rinse your hands with lemon juice to remove the tear-provoking odor.
2. Carrots. Carrots are a family favorite that contain many nourishing properties. They are well known for their ability to improve eyesight as well as build healthy skin and tissue.Since they are one of the best sources of dietary beta-carotene, they support skin health and provide immune protection. Carrots also contain another important antioxidant, selenium, which is critical for antioxidant balance and the recycling of glutathione. Additionally, by stimulating production of T-helper cells, carrots help immune cells to ward off infection; reduce inflammation; and slow the aging process.
3. Olive Oil. Olive oil is one of the best oils for cooking. It is mainly a monounsaturated fat, which makes it more stable to heat degradation than polyunsaturated oils. Olive oil has cholesterol-lowering benefits by helping to lower the “bad” cholesterol known as LDL, thereby protecting against heart disease. Other health benefits include helping to control blood pressure and protecting against diabetes.
Sweet Potato, Carrot & Red Lentil Soup
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil with 1/2 cup water
- 1 onion diced
- 1 tsp garam masala or madras masala seasoning
- 3 sweet potatoes medium; peeled and roughly cut up
- 6 carrots large; roughly cut up
- 3/4 cup red lentils washed and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth use less broth for thicker and more dense soup
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- Put the oil, water, onions and garam masala in a pot over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes adding more water if necessary.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots and red lentils. Pour the vegetable broth over, cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook covered for about 25 minutes or until soft.
- Process in a blender until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Served sprinkled with pumpkin seeds if desired.
My name is Jarka, and I’m a holistic nutritionist and founder of CleverFamilyMeals.ca. My goal is to help families manage healthy eating by creating a personalized action plan tailored to your lifestyle, needs and preferences. With deliciously healthy recipes, natural medicine and valuable tips, I’ll help you manage: digestive issues, recurring ear/chest infections, eczema, asthma, sleep issues, behavioural problems, ADD/ ADHD, autism and more.
I have successfully used this holistic approach in my own family and look forward to sharing my expertise with you. Watch your family gather around the dinner table in a whole new healthy and delicious way!
You can follow Jarka's social media accounts here: Facebook & Pinterest.