Inside Scoop: Bring your dinner to life with this vegan & gluten-free mushroom gravy.
We’re sure you have a tried and true gravy recipe. Maybe you use leftover drippings from a roast, or maybe you use a pre-packaged gravy mix. There are plenty of ways, and plenty of handed down traditions when it comes to gravy (especially around the holidays).
Now, we’re all for roast drippings (the good stuff), and all for traditions, but those pre-packed gravy mixes, and a lot of the gravy recipes out there contain additives, white flour, and you don’t always end up with the healthiest option.
Of course, during the holidays we don’t always think about the ‘healthier options’, but what if we were to whip up a gravy recipe for you that’s so simple to prepare, is incredibly good for you, made with fresh mushrooms and herbs, tastes just as amazing as those drippings, and most certainly tastes way better than the pre-packed stuff?
We bet you’d be into it.
Well get on board, this year we’ve got a gravy recipe just for you!
Vegan & Gluten-free Mushroom Gravy Made With Tamari
This Gluten-Free Mushroom Gravy is vegan, plant-based, creamy, delicious and will rock your roast (whether that roast is made from veggies or meat), it’s a versatile and an undeniably tasty mushroom gravy!
You can drizzle as much of this all over your entire meal and actually feel like you’re doing yourself a favour. We’re all for the traditional stuff, but going plant-based when it comes to gravy has changed the way we do roasts, the way we do potatoes, and will definitely get you to throw out all those gravy packs that you know you want to toss to the curb anyway.
Are you whipping up gravy this year? Let us know when you try this recipe and the reactions you got from it. We promise, they’ll be awesome.
DON’T FORGET: Add more easy and delicious recipes to your meal plan this month by downloading the 5 Ingredient Cookbook below.
Serve this Gluten-Free Mushroom Gravy at your next holiday party with our Simple Kale Salad With Creamy Garlic Dressing.
Vegan Gluten-Free Mushroom Gravy
- 2 cups vegetable broth organic
- 2 Tbsp tamari
- 3 cups mushroom of choice; we use a mix of Portobello & Cremini
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp oat flour or rice flour*
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil reserved for sautéing mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp sage dried
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1/2 tsp rosemary optional; nice if using for roast
- Salt and pepper to season
- Heat large skillet over medium and add 1 Tbsp of oil, add garlic and mushroom and cook until soft.
- Add remaining oil and oat flour and cook for 30 seconds until there’s a paste- like consistency in the pan.
- Add the broth, seasoning and tamari, and cook down about 15 minutes, until you get the desired gravy consistency you want. Stir frequently.
- If you cook for too long and the gravy gets too thick, you can always add more broth.
If you cook for too long and the gravy gets too thick, you can always add more broth. * Make sure the oat flour is very finely ground or else it will leave chunks of oats in the gravy. You want a smooth consistency.